It’s no secret that our industry is facing a looming knowledge gap; with a large segment of the workforce entering retirement, more needs to be done to prepare today’s younger workforce, and to develop the young minds of the next generation of energy professionals. In response, we’re excited to see the University of Calgary’s Pipeline Engineering Certificate program launching for the Winter 2021 semester!
You can check out the course link at the end of this post for more details, but we’ve outlined a few stand-out points for the program:
- Holistic program design using 1-unit courses that are each 4-weeks long, providing breadth coverage
- Classes will be taught during the evenings Monday to Thursday
- Four courses taught in January, four in February-March, and four in March-April
- Completion of the certificate requires successful completion of twelve 1-unit courses within three years
- Due to COVID-19, the Winter 2021 program will be delivered online
- For now, the program will only be offered during the Winter semester of each year (Winter 2021, Winter 2022, …)
- Application deadlines have been extended (International Students – July 1 2020; Canadian and Permanent Residents – August 1 2020)
How do you know if this is right for you? Whether you are an engineering graduate student, an engineer-in-training or a professional engineer, this program will give you the technical knowledge employers need. In as little as one semester, you’ll gain an in-depth understanding of the pipeline sector, earn yourself a graduate-level certificate, and enhance the trajectory of your career!
Your expanded knowledge in gas and liquid hydraulics, material selection and metallurgy, and regulatory codes will be well-suited for work in pipeline design. Build on this knowledge through courses in pipeline stress analysis, geotechnical engineering, welding and joining, and you could work in pipeline construction. You’d be prepared for work in pipeline maintenance using your knowledge of risk and reliability, integrity management, in-line inspection and leak detection. Or, you could enjoy jobs in pipeline operations, working with SCADA systems and control room operations.
Read more on this exciting certificate here: https://grad.ucalgary.ca/future-students/explore-programs/pipeline-engineering and https://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar/grad/current/graduate-certificate-pipeline-engineering.html
We’d also like to highlight that this certificate is eligible for employer funding support through the Canada-Alberta Job Grant Program, wherein your employer pays for one-third, while the government contributes the remaining two-thirds, to a maximum of $10,000 per trainee per fiscal year. Read more here on the Canada-Alberta Job Grant Program here: https://www.alberta.ca/canada-alberta-job-grant.aspx