In case you missed it, on May 5 2020, the Young Pipeliner Association of Canada (YPAC) Edmonton Chapter hosted their first Webinar of the year by hosting Hossein Shahandeh from Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (Amii) for an informative speaker event. Hossein used case studies to present an overview of how machine learning and artificial intelligence can be applied in the oil, natural gas and pipeline sectors. As a quick summary, machine learning is the practice of applying a mathematical algorithm to predict outcomes or guide decision making based upon data analytics.
Hossein highlighted a few key learnings when considering the application of machine learning in this sector:
- It is important to have enough data when identifying the most appropriate model for a solution
- Thorough understanding of data of interest is critical to ensure the data model is optimally applied
- A human (operator) cannot be replaced by machine learning, however ML can increase the productivity of the operator by eliminating distractions, so that human can focus on key work areas
The event was concluded with some awesome questions from the participants through the Zoom Q&A feature. Questions included:
- Challenges and lessons learned in starting to implement machine learning;
- The potential to apply machine learning for pipeline flood and exposure monitoring;
- Machine learning model selection steps;
- Similarities and Contrasts between machine learning and deep learning.
About Amii (Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute): One of Canada’s three centres of AI excellence as part of the Pan-Canadian AI Strategy, Amii (the Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute) is an Alberta-based non-profit institute that supports world-leading research in artificial intelligence and machine learning and translates scientific advancement into industry adoption. Amii grows AI capabilities through advancing leading-edge research, delivering exceptional educational offerings and providing business advice – all with the goal of building in-house AI capabilities. You can learn more at https://www.amii.ca/about-us
About the Speaker: Hossein Shahandeh, PhD., is a Machine Learning Advisor at the Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (Amii). He received his PhD in Chemical Engineering (Process Control major) from the University of Alberta in 2018 and, went on to receive the “Alberta Innovates Technology Future” Scholarship, the “Faculty of Engineering Teaching Excellence” Award, and the “Three–Minute Elevator Pitch Competition” Award
Be sure to sign up to our newsletter, our media feeds, and check our event page to stay up to date on the upcoming YPAC events!