Preliminary Event Summary:
Join the Young Pipeliners Association of Canada (YPAC) for Week 5 of the Pipelines 101 Series to learn more about pipelines and landslide hazard management
- Date & Time – October 14, 2021 from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM (MST)
- Location: Zoom Webinar
- Cost: Free (Advance Registration Required)
- Webinar Registration here.
- Networking Registration here
About The Presentation:
Pipelines have been historically and are still routed through landslides. The presentation provides an overview of:
- Reasons/causes for these routings/intersections.
- Ground and pipe monitoring technologies currently used to detect and manage pipeline landslide geohazards. Recent revolutionary LiDAR and ILI technologies are highlighted.
- Current landslide hazard management and mitigation practices.
- Future landslide hazard management evolution through the integration of current ground and pipe monitoring technologies.
About the Speaker:
Doug Dewar is a middle-aged practicing engineer who manages Pembina Pipelines’ geohazard management program. He received a Bachelor’s degree in Geological Engineering from the University of New Brunswick prior to being deported from the Maritimes to complete a Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering at the University of Alberta. Doug has spent over 25 years working for consultants and the pipeline industry as a landslide mechanics/geohazard management specialist. Interests include leveraging inline inspection inertial measurement (IMU) and axial strain technologies to improve the geohazard management. Conference paper and joint industry practice publications include IMU feature, AXIAL strain feature and soil/pipeline interactions classification systems. Doug has developed the first real time watercourse depth of cover tracking system. He volunteers as the chair for the International Pipeline Conference Geohazards track and torments perspective authors as a technical reviewer.
Doug is married with two teenage boys and has 3 standard Dachshunds – Sir Lincolnshire, Heinz and Genoa. To the best of his knowledge, Doug has never been hired for his looks.
- 7:00 PM – Welcome and Introductions
- 7:10 PM – Presentation by Doug Dewar
- 7:55 PM – Q&A
- 8:00 PM – Networking Event (separate registration required as per above)
- 9:00 PM – Event Conclusion