Get to know Laura Brown, Impact on Industry External Representative
- Your tried and true coronavirus cabin-fever buster? Starting my day with a or walk outside. Being outside daily (even when it was cold!) is definitely necessary for me, whether a dog-walk or a run.
- What new or rediscovered hobbies are you doing while practicing social distancing? Misting my houseplants. (If you know, you know.)
- How would you spend an afternoon in a new city? A long walk outside to discover local coffee shops or restaurants. Bringing a new bag of beans home is a great souvenir.
- Outside of YPAC, I’m passionate about… I am an avid long distance runner, I ran my first half marathon in 2015 and since then I have ran five official races with each time a TINY bit faster than the last (this is very exciting to me). I love the outdoors. I love to hike, bike, and travel. Each year my partner and I plan a hiking trip to a new place. This year we’ll likely move it over to 2021, but the plan was Berg Lake & Lake O’Hara overnight hiking/camping. In 2019 we hiked and slept on top of Fjords in Norway and it was amazing. Another passion of mine is getting to know people. Investing in relationships with coworkers has improved our ability to work together as a team and improve our communication. A little effort goes a long way, like knowing what your cubicle neighbor takes in their coffee.
- How do you measure success in your career? I measure success in my career by how excited I am about what is going on at work. If I am experiencing a dull span of time where I am not feeling energized or interested this means it is time to make a change! And a change could mean going for coffee with others in my department to learn about what they do, learning something new about the interconnectedness of our teams, talking to our leaders about change we want to see or investing in my professional relationships by building my network (YPAC has been great for this). If I am happy overall with my weeks, I am experiencing success. Squeezing the most out of any situation has been key for me to feel that I am contributing to a successful future me.